Saturday, August 30, 2008

Aggie's Delight



Dennis Agajanian has been a friend of mine since the 80’s. I’ve seen him play his guitar and sing for years, often in Graham crusades. Once in Manila, the Pilipino audience he played for was over 100, 000 and the Hong Kong crusade was even bigger. But the remarkable thing about Dennis is his love for people. He’ll pour his heart into flat-picking his Martin guitar whether it’s at a large-scale arena or for a refugee family crammed into a tent or temporary shelter. Once I was with him in Jordan when thousands of Kuwaiti refugees were fleeing from Iraq’s invasion. He stooped to enter a tent where a frightened family had just arrived, knelt on the ground (the tent was too short for him to stand) and played a concert for them with the biggest grin on his face. He’s a big man with a big heart. Yesterday we rode his big motorcycles from El Cajon to LaJolla and he let me ride his Bourget chopper with the raked and extended front end. Talk about a big bike—this thing is HUGE, I mean really long and with a seemingly endless power-band. The great thing about our ride was Dennis’ childlike delight in seeing his friend (me) having so much fun on his bike. Rather than expressing any worry that I would drop it on its side or crash it into a car in front of me, he loved watching me with a smile on my face as I passed him on the road with it. Sort of like Lord, isn’t it? Paul reveals that He is, “the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy.” (1 Timothy 6:17) Think of all the good gifts that God has either given to you or has let you enjoy. The psalmist described God’s delight in us when he penned, “He delights in every detail of their lives.”(Psalm 37:23 NLT) By the way, Dennis just called me today and informed me that his dad died. Please pray for Dennis and his family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you are in the "holy land" for a couple of days R&R. I have long admired Dennis since he first started coming to our church in the 1980's. The moment he takes stage I can't help but smile. To me he is a cross between the Apostle Paul and Johnny Cash! I met him a couple of times and he is very humble and gracious. Safe travels...Mike